Adjusted Close versus Close

Can someone, preferably from EOD Data, confirm what the Adjusted Closing prices are adjusted for? I can see that they are obviously adjusted for splits - and that’s easy to understand. Are they adjusted for dividends as well? If so, what exactly happened in here? How does one go from unadjusted close to adjusted close? (exact formulas). Thanks

Hello!
Thanks for reaching out.
With EOD API, OHLC is only provided in raw, adjusted neither to splits nor dividends, while adjusted closes are adjusted to both splits and dividends. You can review our article, which explains the methodology used to adjust the adjusted_close data.

Thanks Levon, that clears it up. The part about subtracting the dividend is what doesn’t sit well with me. The reason I (and some other data providers) like to leave the dividend separate and not adjust it out is because you are making an assumption what I do with the dividend and when. But I should be able to engineer you data and create a series that is only adjusted for splits. thanks

You’re very welcome!
If you only need the data adjusted for splits, you can use the Technical Indicators API with the &function=splitadjusted parameter.

Thanks for that - useful!

I have a separate question - I am trying to use your symbol_change_history functionality, but I don’t think the documentation is correct, as stated at: https://eodhd.com/financial-academy/how-to-get-stocks-data-examples/how-to-check-symbol-change-history-with-python

resp = api.symbol_change_history() … has no arguments? not even the identifier? Calling it without any arguments seems to result in an error.

(Also, is this functionality included with the paid EODHD package?) thanks

You are very welcome!

You can review the API documentation to understand how it works. The data is available only for the US exchange and starts from 2022-07-22. No specific identifier is required; you can only filter by dates, as mentioned in the article you referenced.

This API is accessible with all packages.